John Henry Charles CARD

Male 1921 - 2017  (95 years)

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    All

  • Name John Henry Charles CARD 
    Born 4 Jul 1921  Chalton, England Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    _UID EAEB49A26DCC4CE3BF63AAA8C083C95A02D6 
    Died 5 May 2017  Devon, England, United Kingdom Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I186  The Path to Our Future
    Last Modified 1 Mar 2019 

    Father John CARD,   b. 23 Oct 1896, Leith Fort, North Leith, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 16 Jul 1956  (Age 59 years) 
    Mother Kate Elizabeth HARRIS NEE DOWLER 
    Married 27 Jul 
    Family ID F56  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family Nina DAY,   b. 20 Mar 1924, Westham, East London Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 12 Aug 2005  (Age 81 years) 
    Married 20 Mar 1945  St Andrews Church, Plaistow, East London, England Find all individuals with events at this location 
     1. Living
     2. Living
    Last Modified 26 Dec 2008 
    Family ID F76  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
    • ?b?Memoirs from John Card....Transcribed from a Letter dated 23 April 2007.?/b?

      How did I first meet my wife Nina? - I suppose it really started with a sequel of events which began even before the war - that is WWII of course! But to come forward a bit it was after I had joined The Royal Marines (Engineering Branch), been through the initial training - and having spent about 10 months stationed up in Iceland I was then posted to a place near Carnoustie in Scotland between Adbroaty and Dundee, and going home on leave occasionally to London meant passing through the Midlands where Dads sister Anne Handley lived with her family at Wolverhampton, so I dropped there a couple of times for a visit before going home - I recall saying to my cousin Vera - who is only five months younger - that although it was always nice to get the "Home Comforts" on leave, but after a few days it became a bit boring, because all my old mates were away in various branches of the forces! And there was I beginning to look forward to being back in the mob with my new family and new mates!! Vera then suggested that I should try and contact an old friend of hers who was in the A.T.S (Women's Army) and she was stationed at Bromley (near where John now lives) about 5miles from Charlton (Our Home). So I made note her name and address and promised to make contact at a suitable time if possible. Just over a year later I was posted at Exmouth in Devonshire; the company had taken over several Hotels - almost on the sea front - I had a nice little attic room, looking across the mouth of the River Exe - across to Dawlish Warren, a nature reserve opposite, It was just like being on holiday!! However one night it was the turn of my section to stand "Duty Watch" which meant Standing Guard for a four hour (12-4am) period, and as Corporal of the guard it was my duty to post guards and to visit them periodically to make sure they where awake and not getting up to any mischief. Having done my rounds I was then supposed to sit in the guard room and twiddle my thumbs - but, I sat and wrote all my letters home etc. Then having nothing better to do I decided to write to Vera's friend! Her name was Una Lewis - She was still at Bromley. A week or two later I was detached on special duty and sent to Earls Court in London; so this was ideal to set up a meeting with Una, which duly took place one sunny Sunday afternoon at Victoria Station in General London. I can't say I was all that pleased - there was I 6'4" and she only about 5'!! However, we had a pleasant afternoon - a visit to Regents Park and to the London Zoo, of all places! After that I couldn't think what else to do with her, so we boarded a big red London bus that took us all the way to Charlton (about 7miles) - I took her home to tea with Mum and Dad , who took to her quite well - and eventually I saw her safely on transport back to her billet in Bromley. We wrote and met a few times after that - she visited my parents in my absence and became almost part of the family - but during our various conversations she happened to make mention of a tall girl in her company. I make mental not of her name and soon after wrote to her proposing a meeting; this was duly arranged, but before this could take place I was recalled urgently back to Company H.Q. - this was the final preparations for the D'Day Landings. So for the next six months I was in France and when eventually I came home again on leave just before Christmas 1944 we fixed another date a few days after the holiday period. So we met on Charing Cross Station, under the big clock - a time honoured meeting place, - and this time I really was impressed!! Three months later we married. At the time we (the Regiment) were preparing for a trip to the far east; the European was still in progress - the Japs were still fighting madly, and I thought "well if I'm going to be away for possibly a couple of years" who knows what might happen. So my proposal was not the romantic "on bended knee type" it had to be in writing!! But it was accepted with enthusiasm because soon after I had a telegram saying " Yes - Yes -Yes Please" .
      I can still hear the wise old ones saying not to quietly "it will never last you know - it all to quick - they hardly know each other" Some with nasty minds even suggested she might be pregnant - but we both knew that was not possible. So despite the proposal being of the none romantic type - at least the marriage was lasting - there are not so many that get 61years before a final parting!!
      Oh Yes!! What happened to Una Lewis you may ask? Well, when she eventually found out, I was told she was very upset, naturally!! I think she had convinced herself - considering she had worked at a close relationship with my family - that I would eventually propose to her!! (I will say no more). [1]

  • Sources 
    1. [S1513] Memoirs from John Card....Letter dated 23 April 2007.